Twin Cities Tandem Club: The Loons
The Twin Cities Tandem Club is a group of tandem enthusiasts from the Twin Cities of Minneapolis, St. Paul, and the surrounding area. We get together once or twice a month from May until November to ride tandem bicycles. We like to ride tandems for many reasons. We are a social or touring club, as opposed to a racing club. While many of our members do ride fast, the main purpose of our rides is to enjoy each other's company, and a "bite to eat" at the food stops.
I am sure if you were to ask the club members why they like to ride a tandem, you would receive many different answers. The following list is not all inclusive, but it does reflect what I have heard various people say over the years:
- Riding a tandem is a shared experience, and we enjoy the sense of team work that it brings.
- Riding a tandem allows two partners of unequal strength to ride together.
- Tandems have some aerodynamic advantages. While you have the effort of two people, the frontal profile is only that of a single person. So usually, a team's speed on a tandem is slightly faster than their average speed on individual bikes.
All of these reasons are in addition to the usual benefits of bicycling -- exercise, fresh air, and just plain fun.
Even if you are just considering a tandem bicycle or interested in tandems, you are welcome at our rides.
2018 Annual Meeting
The LOONS annual meeting for 2018 is currently being scheduled and we will let all know when it is nailed down. We are looking at the middle of April currently.
The agenda will be Election of Officers; Financial Report; Ride Schedule; Jersey Design; Website Hosting; MTR; Loons Rally.
Officers - the current officers are:
- Jean Hurlbert as Head Loon (President)
- Mark Seaburg as Loon at Large (Vice President)
- Deb Liang as Golden Egg (Treasurer)
- Matt Tillotson as The Quill (Scribe)
Dinner Gathering at Q.Cucumbers
Saturday, April 14 2018, 5pm