Twin Cities Tandem Club: The Loons
The Twin Cities Tandem Club is a group of tandem enthusiasts from the Twin Cities of Minneapolis, St. Paul, and the surrounding area. We get together once or twice a month from May until November to ride tandem bicycles. We like to ride tandems for many reasons. We are a social or touring club, as opposed to a racing club. While many of our members do ride fast, the main purpose of our rides is to enjoy each other's company, and a "bite to eat" at the food stops.
I am sure if you were to ask the club members why they like to ride a tandem, you would receive many different answers. The following list is not all inclusive, but it does reflect what I have heard various people say over the years:
- Riding a tandem is a shared experience, and we enjoy the sense of team work that it brings.
- Riding a tandem allows two partners of unequal strength to ride together.
- Tandems have some aerodynamic advantages. While you have the effort of two people, the frontal profile is only that of a single person. So usually, a team's speed on a tandem is slightly faster than their average speed on individual bikes.
All of these reasons are in addition to the usual benefits of bicycling -- exercise, fresh air, and just plain fun.
Even if you are just considering a tandem bicycle or interested in tandems, you are welcome at our rides.
TCTC Returning to Club Rides Guidelines
- Rides are for members and first-time guests only. Make sure your membership is current.
- If you are not feeling well or have a temperature, do not come to a club ride.
- Be prepared to be self-sufficient.
- Masks are recommended but not required at the ride start and rest stops. Masks may be needed if entering businesses during or after the ride.
- Be respectful of others’ space at all times, including spacing while riding.
- Social distancing is recommended at the ride start and rest stops.
- Read the ride details completely for additional requirements on specific rides.
- Check the schedule for new ride postings and the club website for other updates.
- TCTC Officers reserve the right to suspend group riding based on the current status of the epidemic and local health guidelines.
Ride leader resources are available: https://twincitiestandembike.com/index.php/resources/ride-leader-resources
Midwest Tandem Rally 2021 is a go in Racine, WI
Message from MTR committee
See MTR for details